The Mediterranean Red List of Species is a compelling review of the conservation status of species at the regional level, identifying those that are threatened with extinction and the main threats they are facing. Therefore, it is a powerful tool to lead, prioritize and monitor the conservation action in the region.
- To provide the basis for a consolidated Mediterranean Red List of Species as a baseline for monitoring the success of conservation action
- To inform and influence regional Conventions and Governments in order to catalyze action for biodiversity conservation
- To contribute to the Global Red List of Species by adding Mediterranean endemic species
- To mobilize existing knowledge on species and to serve as a federating mechanism for scientists, academia and NGOs from the region
- To build capacities on species conservation
How we act
Through this project, the IUCN Centre for Mediterranean Cooperation tackles the gaps in knowledge about Mediterranean species in the region.