BRIDGE supports the capacities of countries sharing river or lake basins to implement effective water management arrangements through a shared vision, benefit-sharing principles and transparent and coherent institutional frameworks. Its goal is to enhance cooperation among riparian countries by applying water diplomacy at multiple levels.
BRIDGE works through 5 key implementation strategies:
- Demonstration – using demonstration and testing of how to make cooperation operational in a basin through confidence and trust building, shared learning and joint action in building national and transboundary water governance capacity;
- Learning – using training and capacity building for multiple stakeholders, including municipal and civil society actors, as well as high-level national officials in water governance, international water law and benefit sharing to enhance knowledge and understanding;
- Dialogue – applying demonstration actions and learning events to catalyse new dialogues on technical, development, and political matters for consensus building;
- Leadership – supporting empowerment of champions for transboundary water cooperation and better water governance who can effectively advocate for mobilisation of water diplomacy;
- Advice and Support – providing advice and technical assistance on demand to governments and stakeholders, including legal and institutional frameworks.