Building climate change resilience through water management and ecosystems
- Climate change manifests itself primarily through changes in the water cycle. As climate changes, droughts, floods, melting glaciers, sea-level rise and storms intensify or alter, often with severe consequences.
- Climate change impacts have direct consequences for water security and conflict.
- In order to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, climate change adaptation will have to build climate resilience.
- Climate resilience is strengthened through healthy ecosystem services that rely on well-functioning river basins.
- Effective country-driven climate change adaptation should reflect the importance of water management in reducing vulnerability and building climate resilience.